Taking care of your Natural Teeth
Has the twice-daily task of cleaning your teeth become a major frustration? Here are a few simple ideas that may make it easier for you to brush and floss:
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles all the same length;
- Use a fluoride toothpaste;
- Start with the toothbrush on your gums, and brush down on your top teeth and up on your bottom teeth;
- With your toothbrush, very gently massage the area where the teeth meet the gums;
- Gently brush your tongue and the inside of your cheeks;
- After brushing, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water;
- Floss every day;
- See your dentist regularly;
- Enlarge the handle of the toothbrush by attaching a sponge, rubber ball or bicycle-handle grip. You could also try winding an elastic bandage or adhesive tape around the handle;
- If you find that a longer toothbrush handle would be helpful, try taping a popsicle stick or tongue depressor to the handle;
- If you have trouble holding on to the brush, attach the brush to your hand with a large rubber, or elastic, band;
- Tie dental floss into a loop for easier handling;
- Another option is to use an electric toothbrush or commercial floss holder.
Keeping your mouth healthy shouldn’t be a struggle. If you find that these tips don’t solve your problem, see your dentist today. Your dentist will be able to provide a more customized solution for your specific situation.