I. Outcomes Overview K-2:
Below is an overview of the New Brunswick Department of Education Health Education Curriculum outcomes derived from the Health Education Curriculum “You and Your World”, Kindergarten – Grade 2. This Oral Health Curriculum aims to apply the outcomes to oral health as outlined below.
- K.1.2) describe their own physical changes and unique characteristics [i.e. losing “baby” teeth]
- K.2.1) describe the importance of personal hygiene and practise it in order to reduce the spread of germs and disease [i.e. brushing and fl ossing teeth]
- K.2.2) identify types of activities that support a healthy lifestyle [i.e. brushing and flossing teeth, eating and drinking for healthy teeth]
B) Grade 1
- 1.3.1) understand, develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle; [i.e. eating and drinking for healthy teeth]
- 1.3.2) explain how good eating habits contribute to health and well-being;
- 1.3.3) identify habits and products that are harmful to our health.
C) Grade 2
- 2.1.3) describe changes in humans as they grow, and contrast human growth with that of other organisms.
- 2.4.1) understand, develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle;
- 2.4.2) appreciate the need for safety and self-protection in the home, school and in the community; and
- 2.5.2) compare properties of familiar liquids and solids and investigate how they interact.
- Module One: Treasured Teeth
- Module Two: Cavities and Other Changes to Teeth
- Module Three: Taking Care of Teeth to Keep them Tough